Sunday, November 16, 2014

Deyrolle


Métro: Rue du Bac (line 12)
Address: 46 rue du Bac, 75007 Paris
Hours:Monday 10:00 am to 1:00 pm and 2:00 pm to 7:00pm
Tuesday - Saturday 10:00 am to 7:00 pm
Closed on Sunday
Cost: Free
Website: http://www.deyrolle.com/
 

I must admit that conserving dead things is not one of my passions. Ever more I tend to stay away from all that taxidermy thing. Like me, you probably had to visit the local university's natural science museum which smells like a good old dumpster dive. Are you feeling that chill? Anyway I've read long time ago about Deyrolle. Created in 1831, it's reknown all over the world for its insects collections, taxidermy skills and educational materials. But that still did not sell the deal to me. Why would I want to go there. I'd rather go to the Louvre. One day, I'm walking by rue du Bac for some due shopping spree and this shop catches my eyes. It sells pretty things like books and gardening tools. I love pretty things so I go in. It smells good and I just want to buy about everything. They have an inviting staircase to the second floor so I follow the trail to Ali baba's cave only to find myself next to a giant peacock and a billion butterflies. Flashback goes through my head. I'm in Deyrolle. Wow, it's nothing like I had pictured. It's truly beautiful. Rooms upon rooms of magnificent creatures from the smallest insect to a fairly large bear. And wait until you put your eyes on their posters section! I literally spent an hour looking at them. I couldn't take pictures inside the store but check out their website's photo section to get a better idea. Hey, plus you can avoid the hour long wait to the Natural Science museum and show your kids some cool stuff for free while you get some shopping done! Forget about your misconceptions, taxidermy is so in these days!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...