Friday, January 31, 2014

Hugo & Victor



Métro: Sèvres-Babylone (line 10 or 12)
Address: 40 bd Raspail 75007 Paris
Hours:  9:00 am -8:00pm  Monday-Saturday
             10:00 am -6:00 pm on Sunday
Cost: around 6 euros for a pastry
Website:http://hugovictor.com/


I've known about Hugo & Victor for a while. It's hard to miss the fancy frontage. So fancy, that I have hesitated entering for months. I wasn't sure if I was entering a jewelry boutique on Place Vendôme. I felt kind of nervous, I definitely did not want to pay 20 bucks for a small pastry. But then, I became really intrigued by the concept: 2 desserts (one by Victor and one by Hugo)  declining the same ingredient. The theme ingredients change with the season, for instance pineapple or blood orange. When I came in, I was immediately hypnotized by the Chestnut display. I adore chestnuts so I fell for this glittery version of religieuse.

The problem was: how do I get one? The experience of getting the pastry was unique and I was a bit lost at first. It was confusing! So you look at the displays around the store, you tell the lady following you around like your own shadow that you have made your choice and she goes back to the secret kitchen to get it. She suddenly reappears with a little black box. You hope that it is a diamond necklace but know it's the second best thing after the pricey rocks.

I went to a little park around the corner and decided to open my present. Was it going to be a let down? First the look is totally rad- even though I don't like glitter dust on my food. I love chestnut cream and I hate it when pastry chefs corrupt its decadent flavor. Religieuses are usually filled with a custard cream (usually chocolate or vanilla) but as I took a bite, I was totally surprised by the lightness of its sublime mousse but I was still able to taste the richness of the Chestnuts. I loved it! Too bad it was only a seasonal treat. I guess I will have to return the other flavors. Litchi is calling my name. How about you: What is your favorite flavor?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...