Thursday, January 2, 2014

Ladurée




Métro: Madeleine (line 8; 12 or 14)
Address: 16-18 rue Royale, 75008 Paris
Hours:  8:00 am to 7:30 pm Monday-Thursday
             8:00 am to 8:00 pm Friday-Saturday
Cost: 2 euros for a macaron and about 6 euros for a pastry
Website: http://www.laduree.com/en_int/


Happy New Year! My resolutions are simple: Enjoy my life in Paris without killing my budget! There is however a few times where you have to indulge. I finally went to LaDurée. Now I have known about them forever. Who doesn't? There are renown all over the world. And that's exactly why I have never been before. Usually, when it becomes too big too far, it becomes a huge commercial machine and the artisan loses his soul and craft to become a marketing expert. So yes, I had my doubts as far as the quality of the products.

Once again, I felt a bit doubtful when I saw the line. I like quiet and on the down side places. If it's filled with tourists but not with locals; it's usually not a good sign either. But I have a conscience, I have to give it a try so I could tell you about it. (or in other words: I'm the guinea pig of the story).

They've been in business since 1862. What are they so famous for? Their macarons and their original flavors. So alright, I took a mint and a gingerbread macaron. You have to be really talented to pull off a mint macaron without disappointing me.

I give them my 5 euros bill, not seeing much change back in return and I manage to cross the street to sit on the Madeleine front steps giving me a wonderful view on place de la Concorde. The sun is caressing my face as my taste buds are experiencing the most joyous moment of the Christmas season: a mint macaron. I felt much like that food critic in the movie Ratatouille as he tries the chef's simple dish. It is life changing. I take everything back. LaDurée deserves every single praise they ever got. This is mind-blowing food. If I had eaten a fresh mint leaf it would have been the same. It was fresh and light. Nothing like the industrial mint flavors. Just divine! But wait, nooooo it's gone. Why do they make macarons so small? Don't panic! I have a gingerbread one left! Boom! It's a burst of flavors: ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg! Ahhh christmas in a bite. Next time, I will buy a box instead. Better start saving now!


1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...