Friday, November 22, 2013

Musée Cognacq-Jay


Métro: Saint Paul (line 1) or Chemin Vert (line 8)
Address: 8 rue Elzévir, 75003 Paris
Hours:Tuesday-Sunday from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm (last ticket sold at 5:00pm)
Closed on Monday and national holidays
Cost: Free
Website: http://www.paris.fr/pratique/musees-expos/musee-cognacq-jay/


I don't really know where to start with this museum. The Hôtel Particulier Donon is a beautiful building from the 16th century typical of the area (Le Marais). It was acquired by a rich business man Ernest Cognacq. At his death in 1928, the city of Paris transformed the property into a museum. Basically the concept is to step into the home of an art collector in love with his time (18th century).
 

I have to be honest with you. I felt totally out of place - like an elephant in a glass store. Of course when you wear rubber shoes and attempt to walk on an old squeaky floor, you know that it's not a winning combination. Anyway, I am not sure if I was not in the mood for it but I went through it pretty fast. Am I going to get death threats from the 18th century lovers?



Okay, I have to say something positive here! I loved the attic. Very impressive, it reminds me of the upside down boat technique used by some sailors to construct the ceilings of their churches. I don't think I've ever seen one in Paris but I still have so much to discover.




Now for the funny story. If you are a huge fan of horror movies, I am inviting you to use the bathroom or at least try to find them. It's located in the basement. It's easy follow the signs. I'm kidding, it's a maze. You need to go through 6 or 7 fire proof doors that looked like you're going to walk into some kind of WWII underground secret services' headquarter. Instead you will find a sentiment of oppression. I felt like someone was going to kidnap me and use my body for some scientific research. But once you finally reach your destination, you gotta smile or you'll throw up. All the French stereotypes are true. I'll leave it at that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...