Monday, November 18, 2013

Musée d'Art Moderne


Métro: Alma-Marceau or Iéna (line 9)
RER C: Pont de l'Alma
Address: 11 avenue du Président Wilson, 75016 Paris
Hours:Tuesday-Sunday from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm (last ticket sold at 5:00pm)
Thursday from 10:00 am to 10:00 pm (last ticket sold at 9: 00pm)
Closed on Monday and national holidays
Cost: free (temporary exhibits 5 euros)
Website: www.mam.paris.fr



Ah Modern Art! It's always a love/hate relationship. I think the Paris administration felt the same way when they created the Modern Art Museum of Paris in 1961. The site is gorgeous, perfect spot for an afternoon drink with a killer view on the Eiffel Tower. But as you can see, the building is in appearance classic and doesn't scream modernity. Yet inside of its walls, you will find the elite of modern art works.


Rythme by Robert Delaunay (1938)

Antigone consolatrice by Giorgo de Chirico (1973)


My hubby and I are often disagreeing concerning modern art. I think most of it is pure genie and he thinks a 3 yr old could do it. I'm not saying I would buy one for the house but I appreciate how daring and original this art movement is. I even love the bold ceiling lines of the building:



Odalisque au fauteuil by Henri Matisse (1923)

You can admire art work starting the Fauvism to now day including artists like Dufy, Derain, César, Arman or Robert Filliou just to name a few. Most of the collection is breathtaking but not always for the same reason. For example, you can admire a Matisse like above with vibrant colors drooling with admiration or you can scratch your head at an alignment of sweaters on the wall. Still don't understand that one.


Femme aux yeux bleus by Amedeo Modigliani (around 1918)



I have to admit I truly enjoyed it. And if you are more like my husband, you will still feel rejuvenated by the good laughs you got at some of the more contemporary art work. All of that for free!


Portrait relief de Martial Raysse by Yves Klein (1962)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...