Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Le Petit Gris


Métro: Line 3  Pereire
Bus: Line 93 or 163 Pereire-Le Chatelier
Address: 67, rue Rennequin, 75017 Paris
Hours: Tuesday to Friday- 12:00 pm to 3:00 pm and from 7:00 pm to 11:00 pm
            Saturday - 6:00 pm to 11:00 pm
Price: Lunch Special 25 euros
Website: http://restaurantpetitgris.fr/


I used to work in the area a few years ago and wanted to return in order to cover a few places that I truly missed. But things in Paris change super fast and the 3 places I loved closed. As I was walking around, hungry and sad, I noticed a small restaurant. I was immediately drawn to it. It is cozy, earthly and just simple. The way I like it. I hesitated though, because I do a ton of research before trying a new restaurant. I have been disappointed so many times and honestly when a place is empty, it's not a good sign. I didn't know anything about this place. Big risk but I am a risk taker. I was literally the only one there but then again, it had barely opened. I went in and decided to try it. It is only a few days after that I learned that the chef is Jean-Baptiste Ascione, an ex- Top Chef candidate.  As time went by, it quickly got crowded and I noticed that almost everyone had a reservation. I guess I got lucky! I took the Lunch special (25 euros) which includes a main dish and either an entrée or a dessert. Almost 99% of the time, I opt for the dessert but on that day, not sure why, I chose the entrée.


The menu is short which is always a good sign because it means that 1/ it probably changes often with the seasons and 2/ it's fresh, fresh ,fresh. I took the "pâté en croûte" (aka meat pie).  Normally it's a dish that is pretty blend, just to fill you in until the main course. When it arrived, I thought it was pretty and the bread that came with it was for sure extremely good bread. But my friends, when I took my first bite, I just almost fell off my chair. It is by far the BEST pâté I have ever tasted. It was gone way too fast. It melted right off in my mouth. I savored every bit. It was light, exquisite, the aromas so subtil, especially with the fresh fig in the center. Amazing.  I just can't get over it.


After this amazing starter, I was just so excited. I thought: "It is my new favorite restaurant". As my main course, I ordered Roasted Cod with Jerusalem artichokes, Granny apple and Beurre Blanc Sauce (butter sauce). The visual is amazing but I was really disappointed by the taste. It was okay but too blend, uninteresting. I was confused. How can someone make such an amazing Dish and then such a boring one right after? I decided that I needed to give him another chance because truly, my pâté en croûte was out of this world. So I'll let you know when I go back or maybe you can let me know what you think of it when you go. I mean it was mega packed when I left so maybe it is an exception and I truly feel he could surprise me again. To be followed...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...